As we turn from late summer into early fall we see bee’s getting more aggressive. This is not your imagination. As bees, especially yellow jackets, get close to the end of their season and are preparing to die off, they get angry, and are more likely to display aggressive behavior than throughout the first few months of their life span. It’s officially “Angry Bee Season!”

At AFC Urgent Care Danbury we get many questions from concerned parents about bee stings, and often hear the question, “how do I know if my child is allergic to bee stings ?” and “What should I do if my child get’s stung by a bee?”

Don’t worry we got you covered with our guide on how to know if your child is allergic to bee’s and what to do if they happen to get stung by an angry bee.

How to avoid getting stung by a bee

The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) offers the following tips for avoiding stinging insects during this time of year:

  • Wear shoes when outdoors, especially in grassy areas.
  • Wear clothing to cover as much of the body as possible
  • Keep windows and doors screened.
  • Keep garbage in sealed receptacles.
  • Do not swat at a stinging insect as it increases the likelihood of an aggressive reaction.
  • If stung, seek immediate medical attention as reactions can be severe.
  • Call a pest professional if you find a nest on your property or suspect an infestation.

If you or your child does get stung however, it’s important to understand the difference between a ‘normal’ reaction to a bee sting, and an allergic reaction to a bee sting.

What is a normal, non-allergic reaction to a bee sting?

With the majority of bee stings, one will only see minor reactions, such as itching, hives or rashes and soreness.

If this is the extent of your reaction, your child is probably not allergic to bee stings.

How to treat a bee sting, when one is not allergic:

  • Remove the stinger
  • Apply a cold compress or ice
  • Treat with tylenol or NSAID
  • Apply topical ointment such as Neosporin to fight any possible infection, and possibly Caladryl, to combat itching

Don’t use tweezers to squeeze it out. Using tweezers to remove a bee sting runs the risk of squeezing more venom into the wound. Try removing the stinger by scraping a fingernail over the area or using gauze to wipe it out.

In the U.S. only 3% of all children stung by bees experience severe allergic reactions, however sometimes a child might get stung 2 or 3 times before having an allergic reaction. Especially if there is a family history of allergic reactions to bees, parents should always be prepared for an allergic reaction if a child is stung, as a severe allergic reaction can be life threatening.  A severe bee sting reaction is known as anaphylaxis. If your child is stung and experiences any of the following sever reactions there is a good possibility that they are allergic to bees.

Possible symptoms of an allergic reaction to bee stings, or anaphylaxis

  • throat closeschild-allergic-bee-wasp-sting-afc-urgent-care-danbury
  • difficulty breathing
  • wheezing
  • racing heart
  • face or mouth swelling
  • fever

What to do if your child experiences an allergic reaction to bee’s

Immediately use an Epipen and call 911, or they should be brought in to whatever Danbury urgent care center is closest to you. We can treat you or your child right here, 7 days a week, no appointment needed.

If you know your child is allergic to bee stings, you should carry an Epipen on your person at all times.

We are ready to help you identify any allergies at all of our Danbury AFC urgent care centers, no appointment needed.  Our providers at all three of our AFC Danbury Urgent Care Centers are well equipped for the challenges of angry bee season. Come stop by today!